“It lies between the ruins of the abandoned Skin village in 1878, on the top of a high hill rising in the form of a pyramid.
The Skate Castle has an almost square plan: 42 x 44 m with two rectangular towers in the western wall.
From the towers is better preserved the tower of the south-eastern corner tower, which in today’s state has a height of 7 m that reaches the height of the floor of the second floor. The rectangular tower is located on the western wall. The first floors of the circular towers have served as a storage room and are equipped with a fridge located about 1.20 m apart. From the position of the placement of the towers it is clear that the direction of the castle control was the sea.
The walls are built of limestone-stoned mortar and reinforced with wooden bows. The height of the walls reaches 6,70 -7 m and the thickness is up to 2 m. The walls were circled by a parapet depicted as a ball-fired crown, covered with horizontal stones. The fringes have a height of 0.50 m, width from inside 0.35 m and 0.04 -0.06 m from the outside. The frets in the upper part are covered with stone tiles located horizontally. Those crossing the parapet on the walls are not so typical for firearms, they are larger than the alias used by Ali Pasha Tepelena. The above technique resembles the houses of the century. XVII-XVIII of Gjirokastra.
The Skate Castle had a garrison of about 200 soldiers and its construction dates back to the mid-XVI century. The possibility of its construction is in 1537, when Sultan Suleiman attacked Corfu and it was necessary to control Saranda’s scaffolding and Saranda-Butrint road, as the latter was occupied by the Venetians.”