“To the south of the city of Saranda, on a hill in the peninsula of Ksamil, opposite the island of Corfu lies the ancient city of Butrint (Buthrotos), founded there from the beginning of the 7th century p.e.s.
The town rises above a very low hill, which is wet on all three sides with water. In the east and northeast of the hill stretches the Butrint lake, while the channel crossing the lake with the Ionian Sea passes from the south. The small hillock is covered by a dense green forest, which forms a contrast to the surrounding bushes. This forest is mostly made of wild plants, but fruit trees, such as olives, pears, figs etc. are not missing. The hill is rich with laurels and good pastures for cattle. This dense vegetation gives the Butrint hill a rare beauty. Butrint has attracted the attention of scholars long ago. The earliest archaeological announcements for this city are from Qiryak from Ancona, who, while traveling to Greece, stopped in this city, where he saw the antique constructions, pieces of statues and copied some inscriptions that have now been lost. At the beginning of last century Butrint is visited by other travelers, such as Martin, Liku and Pukevili.
The archaeological mission of Italy headed by Ugolini developed excavations in this city from 1928-1936; After his death, the works continued with P. Markoni and later D. Mustilli until 1940.
As a result of perennial excavations, Butrint has brought to light a series of monuments that we will describe below in historical periods.”